Old 02-28-19, 05:42 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I've been aware of this site for awhile now but this is the first I've taken the time to read it thoroughly. I have to say that their model makes inherent sense to me..

Several things are implied by the discussion on this site:
1. It has been my impression since shortly after I started TTing that having a killer sprint is likely a disadvantage in TTs. I started to formulate this impression based on the sense that people I know who are good at crits tend to avoid TTs. Descriptions of the sensations they experience during a TT include a lot more descriptors of "misery" than I feel like I experience. Based on this website, the scientific articulation that I'd give to this impression is that crit racers with a good sprint likely have an anaerobic capacity that it too high for TTing. They generate way more lactate than a slow twitch-type does.
2. I have the sense that the comments I frequently read on BF that more training volume is essentially always better is not correct either. I'm not just thinking of big training volumes being unnecessary for very short events but also that it depends on the athlete. If you have an athlete who is almost all slow twitch, for example, might their Achilles heel not be anaerobic capacity? That athlete might be able to absorb big training volumes without over-training, but never really improve speed or performance because they are too fatigued to do workouts which improve anaerobic capacity which might be more relatively important for those athletes than a fast twitch or "mixed" twitch athlete.
3. This websites discusses the central role that a specific goal on a specific date plays in informing the training program. Its the concept that has been brought up infinite times in OP's various threads and something that most people posting here seem to inherently understand: the nature and timing of the goal essentially dictate the optimal training plan for a given athlete, and without an articulated goal, a training plan is at nest "uninformed".

Thanks for the post, very interesting stuff. I almost want to buy the CD and a lactate meter and see if Ex wants to play around with it.
On the topic of lactate production and aerobic vs anaerobic metabolism, a new concept termed VLamax might be of interest to you and others like Hermes and addresses exactly what your impression is of the types of riders
https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/tra...n-weber_483349