View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 09:01 AM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
One reason why e-bikes are more expensive is because generally, they're manufactured in much smaller quantities than standard unassisted bikes of the same type. The "economies of scale" are not in full force in order for the production costs to be close to what the non assisted bikes are. The main component, the battery pack is still pricey though through the years they are coming down in cost, and getting more energy dense. The motor and controller of course adds to the cost too.

There are much more reasonably priced e-bikes on the market of good quality if you look hard enough. And by the way, I find it funny that the comparisons you are making related to that e-MTB you mentioned are all MORE expensive while questioning the price point of that first bike.

But I'm sure my explanation is over simplified and someone who is an insider in the industry could probably talk your ears off with all the ins and outs of the production costs and retail pricing structures.

Originally Posted by TinyBear
I just can’t find a reason these e bikes or any bicycles are so expensive.

A E mountain bike hard tail starts around the $3500cdn. I can buy a very competent. Duel sport 250cc motorcycle new for $5000. That’s a bike that’s street legal has decent suspension and can be ridden anywhere. A fully suspended high end bike is in the $7-9 thousand dollars. Again can buy very high end dirt bikes for less than that.

It just don’t make sense to me. I want an e bike I really do. I think for my needs and with one. Leg weakened it help me a lot enjoy cycling again like I did before I got hurt. But the cost of entry is just too prohibitive. And I don’t know why.