View Single Post
Old 03-24-17, 12:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
03-24-17

Cassette was installed.

American Classic 29" MTB Race are essentially mountain bike wheels but accept Shimano and SRAM road cassettes natively. Those more knowledgeable than I report that versions with the letter "D" stamped on the freehub and newer will do so - just bolt on your favorite Shimano or SRAM road cassette and ride.

If the information given is correct then these wheels are good-to-go. Post here or send me a PM if you know anything about the numbers on this freehub.

The cassette is a SRAM PG-1170 which equates to a Force groupset. This one is the low geared 11/36 flavor.

The cassette did indeed slip right onto the freehub. No spacers were needed. The photo below shows how it looks before the 11 tooth sprocket and lockring were installed.

A dab of grease was used on the lockring threads and it was hand tightened using a standard cassette tool.

The lockring torque spec meant that a 3/8" drive torque wrench was needed. I had neither a 1 inch, 3/8" drive socket required for the lockring tool nor a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for the socket I did have and so had to execute plan C, a socket designed for automotive sending units. It worked just as well.

Torque spec is etched into the lockring itself, 40Nm or about 29.5 ft lb.

I'm not used to cassettes this big. It looks comical IMO.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-24-17 at 10:06 PM.