Old 01-05-18, 02:53 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I can tell the difference between a GP4000sII 25 and a Michelin PRo4 Endurance 25c on the exact same bike on the exact same 20 mile ride

Garmin will back that difference up in fact.

cruising and sprints means nothing, my fastest sprint was on a heavy bike, heavy wheels, and heavy tires. Yet that bike will yield the slower averages. on the same roads. time and again.

So we can toss the "feels like", and "Can't tell the difference" statements out.

Voyayer hyper has like a 18 watt roll resistance compared to the 12 watt GP4000sII with the pro4 endurance being 14, and a GP TT being 10. I've ridden 3 of those tires, and my garmin suggest that those watt differences between the tires are exactly that! regardless of whatever the roll resistance actually is.
Right. That's basically what I just said.

6 watts difference between GP and Hypers is what I would call a 'handful.' And like I said...I think that difference gets eaten up by less than perfect pavement. Given the right road conditions, I think it's entirely possible the Hypers could be faster.

But the real takeaway from this should be they're all FAST tires. One is skinny and fast, the other is wide and fast. Which is fastER? Probably the GP, but IMO it depends.