Old 05-08-18, 12:28 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I felt like 35 mm Schwalbe G-One tires set up tubeless roll as well as the older generation 25 mm Vittoria Rubino Slicks. The G-One's, or any high end tire for that matter, perform best when paired with a light wheel.

The Absolute Black rings are really interesting and I'd love to hear from someone who tried them in the real world.
I had the ovals on my synapse. I loved them, but hated how picky they were at shifting. (105 10 speed) As in rpm and load played a huge part in if they shifted well or not well. For some this may not be bothersome, for me it was the most annoying thing ever. I liked them enough to never take them off until I sold the bike. New road bike is hollowgram spiders and di2. I have since put the 50t oval on my single speed and the benefit is huge!

Oval choice, also plays a part in a my new geared bike 1x/2x choice. 1x allows for the running of an oval without the shifting headache.

at the same time.... DI2 is awesome. would I give up di2 for a 1x... no! would di2 make a difference in the oval shifting, yes. you'll get the exact same torque / movement time and again. do I want di2 on a bike that would see over nights? weekend trips? all winter riding? probably not....

the other quirk I do not like about them is higher rpm gets weird like at 100+ its harder to spin. I often hit 120-130 on SS with the 48t round. I can't spin that fast with the 50t oval. but the 50T oval climbs and tractors into headwind advantages far outweigh the disadvantage of me not being able to spin the oval as fast.

I also have a 32t oval on my 29er hardtail that is XT 10 speed 11-36. the advantages of the oval on climbing, is enough for me to not bother with sunrace or a one up conversion. (west/central Ohio, and Scioto trails Great Seal state park Scioto trails Chillicothe Ohio area.)