Old 11-28-18, 07:54 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
After my father died from prostate cancer a few years ago, now I wouldn't object to any test the doctor recommended.

Besides, after years in the military, amateur boxing and working in health care, I'd pretty much lost all my shy bones by the time I was 20. For some reason every full and part time job I applied for years ago required a prostate exam despite the low risk for younger men. Covering their insurance bases, I suppose.

I never noticed anything unusual while urinating until this year, but I've begun to do that pee-pause-pee-pause-pee-some-more thing. So while I'm recover from my recent thyroid surgery I'll schedule an appointment to check the prostate. Hadn't had any prostate exam in more than 20 years. I'm 61 now, way overdue.

Prostate cancer is generally considered to be a bit lower in risk for metastasizing but there are no guarantees. Dad spent several years with catheters, even while commuting to work by train in his 70s. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that must have been. And after about 10 years of having it under control it flared up and metastasized, killing him in only a month.

Same reason I wanted to have my thyroid tumor taken care of pronto after it was diagnosed earlier this year. The risk for metastasis is low with thyroid cancer, but I didn't want to take any chances after my dad's experience. Besides, the thyroid was no longer functional and it was so swollen it was interfering with my esophagus and trachea, so it was painful to swallow and occasionally worsened my asthma constriction. It's been less than a week since surgery and it's already easier to swallow.
You're a better man than I. I would have told them go fish. The urine test is about all the invasion of my privacy I can tolerate. Now that marijuana is becoming legal its time for the necessity of that to be reevaluated.
Originally Posted by Biker395
Yep. The digital exam is a must. They can detect lumps and the like that are a good indication that something is amiss.

I had a female doc do it once. I think she was more embarrassed than I. While she was digging around, she said:

"At least my finger is smaller."

Ah, but those fingernails!
I prefer medical practitioner to keep their comment strictly medical. But that's just my personal conservatism at work.