Old 02-17-19, 08:23 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clarification on drift vs MSI

As interesting that I find it that athletes use MSI but still care about FTP, that is not the point of this post, which is about my protocol.

Edit - TL;DR = 5-10% needs to be maintained for all workouts and drift for ANY session in the microcycle is out of control then adjustments can or may need to be made to the microcycle as a whole due to interdependencies of workouts. This is also true at the block level where, for example, load/rate and recovery week frequency must be balanced.

Edit 2 - One more thing that might be helpful is that cardiac drift is how you get MSI for steady state and longer intervals. RPE is there also as I've mentioned with 25% longer than when you begin to look forward to the end of the workout, but drift is absolute accuracy. MSI is better for intensity of very short intervals but drift is still a requirement.

You need to maintain cardiac drift of 5-10% through all training phases. This allows proper intensity, duration and frequency as previous discussed ad nauseam.

As one of the many things that dissenters are skeptical of which automatically come in in the wash or are self-regulating, cardiac drift must be between 5-10% or adjustments need to be made to intensity, duration and frequency.

I think the best way to explain it (and it would help to have some genuine feedback so I can help people understand) is with an example.

In "base", if you must, cardiac drift is king and is used to modify each workout in order to maintain 5-10%.

Skipping way ahead to very late stages, MSI is used for short interval intensity; but cardiac drift must still be 5-10% and, if not, adjustments need to be made to this workout as previously discussed.

However, 5-10% for this MSI workout is not good enough. You need 5-10% for ALL workouts and we are performing workouts targeting multiple energy systems within each microcycle at this point.

So, to continue with this example, consider that your short interval workout is fine but drift for your endurance maintenance workout is spiking or trending upward. This represents a frequency or overall load issue. Your MSI stimulus is spot on but you are not getting adequate recovery between workouts. Guess what? Correct. You need to "decrease frequency" as always when drift is out of whack and that means adjusting your weekly schedule or extending your microcycle past a 7 day calendar week.

Like I said in a previous post this is getting way ahead of class but as you can see these nuances take care of themselves once you get there and have a concrete question to ask but often you don't even need to ask the question if you follow the rules and after some point you will be understanding your personal patterns and relationships between intensity, duration and frequency such that it becomes natural. But you'll never get there if you don't pay attention and don't log your data.

Last edited by fstrnu; 02-17-19 at 08:39 AM.