Old 11-04-06, 09:25 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kf5nd
I generate my ride maps using Microsoft's consumer mapping software; and you can easily export the waypoint coordinates to a GPS.

Is it common to use GPS for long-distance tour navigation? I can see many advantages, so long as the units are rugged and waterproof, and you've got spare batteries, and some minimal kind of paper map backup.

It would be great to get a signal to turn left, turn right, just before you need to turn. Then you could pick really obscure, poorly-marked little roads that represent the shortest or most scenic distance, and not worry so much about getting completely lost.
Get the GPS ASAP. It really will change the way you ride and with the Garmin Legend selling for less than $150.00, there's really no reason why you have to buy one without a built in map. When you first start off, you'll have to type in the "Way Points" from Streets and Trips into the unit since both are not compatible. However, when you have the money, get the Garmin software because it really speeds uploading routes.

I never travel great distances without the unit. Don't allow the GPS to make routes for you or you'll end up on a highway! You'll have to spend time making routes and use plenty of "Way Points" which are coordinates at each turn so you don't get lost.

Buy 4 rechargable batteries and you'll never have to worry about going out to buy any more.