View Single Post
Old 08-22-12, 12:44 AM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What have you given up?

Originally Posted by Neil_B
Too many people, here and elsewhere, will do anything to lose weight and restore their health as long as they don't have to give up what made them fat in the first place.
Neil made this comment on another thread, and it honestly made me stop and think. I have been watching what I eat and getting more exercise to slowly get healthier and work towards getting fit enough to the point of being able to consider myself "better than average". I don't think I am there yet, but I am on the way. Or am I....

Although I have been watching my calorie intake and being conscious of the "cost" of everything I put in my mouth, I haven't made an effort to really 'give up' anything in terms of food. I eat less 'bad' food, and eat that less frequently, but I haven't consciously given it up. Unless I do, am I destined to ultimately put back on what I am now working hard to lose?

It is easy to say "need to just cut out the unhealthy things from your diet", but, do I actually want to? If one of the things I enjoy in life is a great meal, or a tasty snack, do I want to try to give it up? I am thinking the answer is "moderation", but will certainly give it some more thought.

Most of the above is a bit of internal soul searching, but would be interested to know if others have gone through similar thought processes, and/or have made commitments to give something up. If you gave something up, what was it, and how do you feel about having given it up - occassionally tempted, or haven't given it another thought?