Thread: West Maui loop
View Single Post
Old 02-21-13, 07:57 PM
boatbuilder

Bikes: Electra Townie, Trek Road (project 1)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
West Maui loop

I'm not really a bike rider YET but my wife and I bought comfort cruisers last fall and really enjoyed them. So much that I have been wanting to do road biking so I bought a Lemonds exercise bike and have been using it since December faithfully. When I first started on it I could only do about 5 minutes due to sore butt and out of shape. My longest ride so far has been 1-1/2 hours. I have lost 53 lbs doing so as well. I started at 265 and now down to 212. My goal was to be 210 by the time we left for holidays in Maui but I'm happy with results so far. I still have a ways to go but I'm enjoying the journey.
My friend that came on holidays with my wife and I rented road bikes to do some riding. Never knew anything about the West Maui Loop but found out about it while picking up our rental bikes. My buddy, who has also went from being 265 to 185 has already been riding for a year but is about 10 years older than me. We left our resort this morning and started riding and decided we would ride as far as we could on the loop and then call our wives to come pick us up when we were pooped out. Well, we just kept slugging it out at our slow pace and stopped to look at scenery every once in a while and before we knew it we were only about 15 miles from our resort. We knew we could finish and did. It took us 5-1/2 hours but we are happy just completely the 60+ mile trip. It is by far the furthest either one of us road so far. We are both a little sore but overall still doing well.
Jim