View Single Post
Old 02-07-21, 09:14 AM
tenniscyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I really appreciate the thoughtful and helpful responses from everyone who replied.

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
From my perspective, you're probably really pushing for those 30 miles without realizing it, and exceeding your aerobic capacity. I love speed, and I'd push my heart rate into zone 4 regularly. The problem is that exercising at 80-90%of your max heart rate uses a different fuel than when you're exercising at 60-70%. The lower rates burn fat, which means you last longer, and since you're not creating lactate, you recover faster. My understanding is that if you train your body in the lower zones, your performance there will become more efficient, so you can go faster without exceeding that aerobic/anaerobic transition.
If you have a HR monitor, aim to just put time in at HR zone 2 a couple times a week. Don't focus on speed or distance as much as riding within that zone for an hour or half an hour. If you're riding outside or on a smart trainer, you should see improvements in your pace as your body adapts to burn fat more readily.
Unca Sam, you are absolutely correct. I am pushing myself really hard for those first 30 miles. It’s likely that you have nailed much of my problem (I’m exceeding my aerobic capacity/thereby using the “wrong” fuel). I will get a heart monitor, but I’ve basically been doing a form of what you said on an indoor spinning bike for an hour at a time a few times a week for a while (riding at what's probably close to HR zone 2). Probably just need to do it more(?)

Sorry if it's overthinking, but this newbie needs some specific clarification between what Rubiksoval and Surak said above (e.g., Rubiksoval's recommendation to ride 5-6 times a week for at least an hour...there is “no substitute for miles”) and Surak's reminder about the importance of time to "adequately rest and recover"?

I’m just trying to have a very specific plan to start now so that in about 2 months(?) I might have a shot at hanging with the group for the entire 50 miles. Thanks.