Thread: Disks not ready
View Single Post
Old 02-11-21, 02:40 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I want a bike that can stop consistently in the rain and allow for wider tires. Like the vast majority I don't race and therefore see no point in getting the lightest bike out there. What the pros don't care about are things like carbon rims getting destroyed and wider tires. You miss all these reasons when you reduce discs in the public down to "because that's what the pros ride, durr."
I get the advantage of disc brakes for a bike that you want wide tires on, to ride in rough conditions, be an all around bike. That’s why I spec’d my last bike with disc brakes. But it’s a Swiss Army bike that will
do gravel, road, touring and isn’t meant to win a race, or the Tuesday night Worlds.

However, context of this thread is Froome talking about discs for a full on road racing bike. He doesn’t think they are there for that purpose. My point is that they definitely aren’t for amateur racers and recreational riders whose goal is fast road riding, that 1) are not subject to UCI weight limits, and 2) don’t have support to hand them up another bike.
Likes For merlinextraligh: