Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dutchy

Hey Allister, from memory you ride an MTB, that's an impressive speed, you must have had some serious aggression just waiting to be expelled. I just love those days when you go absolutely flat-out for the whole ride, feeling invincible. Of course that feeling ends when you stop and try to walk after the ride.

I'm glad we don't ride the same route, you would be impossible to drop.

CHEERS.

Mark
Hehe. It wasn't so much aggression as ambition. I'd had a fast ride in, so I figured it was the right day to go for the record.

I've dropped back to my more typical speed since then, averaging about 29-31km/h. Yes I do ride an MTB, but it is a reasonably light Cannondale, with 1.25" slicks pumped to 100psi. My top gear is about 104 gear inches. I'm not sure I'd be much faster on a road bike, although I'd love to try.

Actually right up until about 2 kay from home when I hit a couple of small hills, my average was sitting on 35.7, and it was still over 35 right up until I decellerated to stop at my house. I was playing a little game that I sometimes play with myself where I try to keep that little comparator arrow pointing upwards as much as possible ie. always ride at above the average speed. Of course as you go, the average gets higher, and it gets tougher to keep it in the positive, but that's part of the game. It certainly makes for fast riding, but I made it especially hard for myself on Monday by hitting 61km/h within the first couple of kay of the ride, which put the average up pretty high right off the bat.