styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
A sad day, personally, classic French touring contents

Yesterday my older brother came to me and asked me to sell his touring bike.
(And - no - this is not an ad for selling it here. It will be done elsewere and at a later time).

For me this request is sad in so many ways. I got him into biking many years ago, in the 80ies, and we have had such a wonderful time training, racing and touring together since then. He is 11 years older than me and at only 66 he has to hang up his cycling gloves. His lower back is in a mess and there is nothing to be done about it. It has been that way for quite some time but taking the decision to sell his good bike sort of makes it definitive.

I am sad for his back. I am sad to loose him to the couch. I am sad it has to be this way and I am sad for the bike. Parting with your good bike for any reason is sad. Parting with it as a part of giving up...done by a man that has not known "giving up" in his life... I am sorry but this is very emotional for me.

The bikes frame is a wonderful example of Francis Quillon: s work. It is branded Geliano and even though it sounds Italian it is as French as a baguette. It has it all.

My brother did 540 km (335 miles) in 22 h and 45 minutes, riding alone, on a mountainous course. He is disabled 25% as he cut off his right hand at work when 18. Before that he was a wrestler at national level here in Sweden. After the accident he started weightlifting and did 165 kg bench pressing, at 80 kg body weight, in a tournament (for non disabled), did military service, ran 10 km in 45 minutes, bicycled, etc. A guy not letting his handicap define him. And then his back betrays him in the end.

A sad day.

Together with my Meral - and yes we are quite diffrent in height... He has always said he got to be short because he had to carry my so much when I was a child.

Last edited by styggno1; 07-15-19 at 02:32 AM.
Likes For styggno1: