Old 08-06-19, 11:46 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
The Los Angeles area is just so frikkin BIG and the traffic is the worst in the world.

For my part, I just can't imagine driving 60 miles, twice passing into and across the heart of LA's worst traffic just to do a bike ride. That would be at least two hours in a car,... at least. Then, you're riding on city streets.

I'm sure it's fun. I guess if you are local, it must be nice. For me, it is too far to go for too little reward. Bummer! :-(
Hey BL, where abouts in SoCal are you? I’m in La Habra only about 28 miles away but accessing the nearest freeway takes 20 minutes by itself. Even with no traffic and a a fast avg. speed, my route of 60 or 605 to 210 to Rose Bowl Aquatic center takes between 48-55 minutes drive.

I don’t know how long you’ve been in SoCal but I’ve lived here most of my life so I’m used to driving long distance or times in routine travels and appointments. My daughter’s medical care is at UCLA (my college alma mater) 36 miles away across the heart of LA and takes 47-60 minutes during late morning or early afternoon with good traffic and carpool lane. Getting home after 4:30 takes 2.5 hours! It is what it is.

I’ve been riding with the Velo-retro group for about 4 years now and really enjoy the people, the many different vintage bikes, and the ride itself on mostly quieter Pasadena streets, even on Sunday midday. I don’t mind the drive because there are few vintage focused rides around with people so knowledgeable about their bikes or vintage bikes in general. And we do have people that drive in from as far as San Diego (128 miles, 2.5 hours) or Ventura (70 mi 1.25 hours) or North San Fernando valley (Sylmar - a measly 23 miles and 25 min.)

The ride itself is more social than huge challenge, being 24 miles, 860 ft of climb at max 4%. But it’s fun and you get to meet other classic steel friends. C’mon out and join us at least once (maybe when it’s not quite this hot!) and hope you’ll enjoy it enough to come out again. I do understand if you don't feel the travel is worth your time, YMMV.

Velo-Retro: Rose Bowl Ride
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13571304

I'm at 64 y/o now and just glad to be reasonably healthy, able to ride and train, getting a bit better every time, and enjoying being with like minded people who also like bicycles along with their other varied interests. The Velo-Retro ride is, to me, a lot of fun and rewarding enough ride and socially at the same time. I like to think you'd enjoy it too.

If you want more of a ride challenge, there's plenty of riding groups out there although much less groups oriented towards vintage steel.

If you do want a much bigger vintage centered challenge (unless you're a really superior climber), meet us April 4-5, 2020 at 6th annual Eroica California 2020 ride and festival. It's probably a 3.5-4 hour drive up the coast for you but I'll suggest its well worth it IF you're into vintage steel, and a bit of a challenging ride, depending on your choice of suffering, er, enjoyment - 35 miles 1400 ft of climb up and down the Pacific Ocean shoreline, 74 miles with 5700 feet of climb, 81 miles with 6400 ft of climb, or the Heroic Route at 108 miles and 8200 feet of climb.

www.eroicacalifornia.com
https://eroica.cc/en/california/gall...ica-california

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-roll-call.htm

Last edited by mech986; 08-07-19 at 12:16 AM.