View Single Post
Old 07-30-19, 07:12 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Back when they built the velodrome in Trexlertown, PA, I used to ride the track regularly, as they allowed riders of road bike to ride as long as it was not track practice or being used. It was fun and I learned to to properly glue a tubular on so it would NOT roll off. I was also in a developmental course, but had to drop out after a cracked rib from other activities. A friend had 2 starter track bikes, with swappable fixed and free cog and we used to do pickup sprints. Then work and moving intervened.

We used to go to the Friday night Velodrome races in Trexlertown all through the late 70's and 80's as it was a 40 mile drive on major highways. Lots of fun with very varied racing and different classes of riders including Olympic tryouts, and Keirin and motorpaced races, as well as tandem match sprints. I moved further away, and 2 years ago when visiting the area, went to a race and it was still exciting and good. Unfortunately for me, Friday night is not an easy travel for me to see it regularly now. If they were on Saturday night it would be a regular thing.

They have a good announcer who explains the tactics and strategy, as well as refreshments and other items.

https://thevelodrome.com/

It is now Valley Preferred Cycling Center or informally "T-Town"

Last edited by Bill in VA; 07-30-19 at 07:40 PM.