View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 05:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
As one who was struck from behind by a hit and run, I have explored this question by @MattTheHat extensively:
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Can someone...anyone...explain how knowing a car is behind you makes any difference whatsoever? Please?

I've asked this in other threads and never gotten a response. In other words, what do you do with the information? What do you do differently? Are you pulling off the road or something? It seems to me that if you do anything differently based on whether or not a car is behind you is just a recipe for disaster, because you're going to eventually get it wrong.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting anyone ride with music or headphones if they don't feel safe doing so. I'm just tired of people making statements about how unsafe it is without offering some kind of rationale.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm a mirror advocate, virtually an evangelist, and I wear two eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirrors, left and right (link)..

Speaking of responding to an upcoming car, have I posted:
Originally Posted by JW Fas
"Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMKp71vW-I
Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”

I’m an ardent mirror advocate. Many naysayers disparage the use of the mirror for the rare event as depicted above, just to avoid a rear end collision. IMO a mirror is more frequently used, and more valuable to monitor and anticipate road hazards:

So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to a quickly upcomimg car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Loose chip seal is a problem. Governments should sweep it up, say after a couple of months post application. Of course, there is the accumulation of other road debris.

Rumbles? If I heard them 50 feet behind myself, they would be a strong wake-up.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If the closing speed is 50 mph, that gives you 0.68 seconds to get out of the way.
Perhaps, ...At what point do you realize that the upcoming car ain't gonna swerve out of your line of travel?
↓↓↓↓

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-05-20 at 05:46 PM.