Old 08-23-19, 11:18 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
To be fair, that crash had nothing to do with lack of MUP courtesy, nor was it due to excess testosterone or speed. A rider simply came in minor pedal contact with another rider they were with, which caused them to swerve to the left and momentarily cross the center line at the exact moment someone was coming in the other direction. A small mistake that resulted in a ~35 mph (combined speed) head on collision.

I've been on a group ride where the exact same thing happened, where a rider in my group accidentally crossed the center line and hit someone head-on. The sound of carbon frames, carbon wheels, and tubes exploding simultaneously is something I won't soon forget.
35mph... combined... the downhill rider was supposedly flying... On Colorado Bike Day... thousands upon thousands on the paths... I stand by my statement of lack of courtesy and excess speed in conditions where BOTH are very dangerous. This Cherry Creek path, especially in downtown, was crowded to the max on this day and also on most days. Sure, touching pedals will cause a crash. However, under the conditions of that day, both riders should have been more aware and perhaps a bit more cautious.