Thread: 2020 World Tour
View Single Post
Old 10-11-19, 01:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 1,153 Posts
I have done several trips with a former co-worker, we both are about the same age, similar philosophy to life, etc. Yet, sometimes we get pretty angry with each other. We are talking about doing a trip this coming summer, I think there is a 50/50 chance it will happen. I have more endurance than he does, but he has more speed at the start of the day. Overall we both like to go about the same distance in a day.

But two of my last three trips I did solo, and going solo means you do not have to have a committee meeting to decide itinerary or change of route or change of schedule, or type of food, or budget for lodging, or distance to travel the next day, or whether or not to take a layover day, or any of the other dozens of small decisions that have to be made every day. There were days on both those solo trips where if my friend had come along, we would have had serious arguments on some of the longer distance days.

If you do find a traveling companion, you may have arguments about whether or not each is carrying his or her fair load of gear or doing a fair amount of effort. I find the best way to avoid such arguments is by having a goal to do 10 to 20 percent more work than your traveling companion.

Originally Posted by alan s
South of the US border has higher risks. Riding with others is probably a good idea, but no guarantee you won’t still run into trouble. Personally, I would avoid much of Mexico, Central and South America, but would like to ride certain areas some day, such as Patagonia.
Originally Posted by bikemig
+ 1. Patagonia and the south of Chile would be cool. I'd be concerned about Mexico and much of Central America.
Totally agree. You hear of most people saying their trip was great and no problem, but even if only one out of 20 people had a really bad experience, I would rather not go there and take the risks.

I am starting to think about Patagonia for a trip, but I would fly down there and start there. If I do go there, it would likely be solo.