davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
It's unfortunate that the current crisis prevents you from riding with some experienced rider who could show you handling tips, but YT has good stuff and you've got time to practice.
YES agree 100 percent since I am willing and thirsty to learn! hopefully we can get through this in short order. I have been watching a lot of YT vids and I was practicing bunny hops on my leisurely ride with my kid this AM so trying everything I can. I also feel like climbs which were kicking my butt on Monday felt way easier by Friday. It's the scary descents that I need help with.

Fortunately, my LBS does group rides every Thursday night, less than 1/2 dozen people and very easy to ride together and maintain health protocol. Their rides are supposed to be fun and no-drop so I plan on doing that this week.

When this is over I know REI does free classes, I am sure they're very basic but everyone, even the saltiest among us, can learn more with an open mind!

And as note to the OP, mt. biking IS harder than road riding, IMO. An hour on a mt. bike is a much more anaerobic activity, equiv. to 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. on a road bike. I do put out sustained effort on a fast road ride, where as a mt. bike has many short intense bursts, as well as a harder workout on the upper body a result of steering the bike thru obstacles, trees, etc... When I can, I swim to keep my upper body in shape.
Agree and I LOVE open water swimming as well!

I think you're right for two other reasons - road biking you can more easily pick your rest and pain points. In MTB, if you don't punch up the hill when you come to it, you're gonna just be stopped for a while or walking. Also, I feel like my heart rate stays up for longer periods because of the "if I get knocked off my line on this particular section I could die" factor.... LOL I am sure that goes away but for now a weird part of the fun.