Old 01-08-19, 02:21 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6000 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by alias5000
Regarding the Netherlands, it does sound a bit as if it would be very worth cycling near the sea, but the (south-)east may not be the most interesting part... I'm still unsure about this. If all fails, we'll take more trains and do some North Sea cycling instead. Which brings me to tandems and dutch trains... A quick google search suggests that tandems on trains (local / long distance?) are not that much of an issue (off-peak + bike ticket required). Anyone got any experience with this?
I know Dutch trains quite well and there is the option to take a bike or even a tandem if you need to, but it's a compromise on travel comfort. Prepare to improvise, bring a bungee cord and pick the train with the most direct connection instead of having to switch trains 1 or more times because it's not an issue but a bit of a hassle. It's for occasional bike transport and for cycling tourists, the Dutch use the NS (Dutch Railways) bike share or have bikes at both train stations. The NS doesn't want everybody to take their bike because it's just impossible, so it's not made too nice and easy or cheap.

The South-East and the East in general is often praised for it's landscape by the Dutch, especially the locals, but in a flat and wet land hills and forests are easily overestimated. Probably Germany does hills and forests a lot better (I'm from the most Eastern corner and live in the upper North now, no chauvinism here). There's no real nature in the Netherlands anyway, it's all man made, managed and kept, even the rivers are rerouted, split or created. That brings uniquely Dutch landscapes like in 'Rivierenland', West of Nijmegen, south of the Waal river. With lots of waterways, quite a few castles, ****s, blossoming fruit trees in may and picturesque towns and villages. A small river like the Linge is probably nicer to follow then the Rhine or the Waal. West of Utrecht it becomes very dense on basically everything, dense on different landscapes but also dense on history, Leiden, Delft, Amsterdam, Gouda, The Hague,Haarlem, it;s really a small area but it has been the centre of the world for a 100 years. It's dense on population too, but not entirely urbanized, the stretches of 'nature' until the next village are just not that long and there's 'the Green Heart' in the middle of the 4 biggest cities, and there are the dunes at the coast of course.