Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
Guys like Froome don’t wreck on recon rides
Maybe ...... justice ..... administered by the
“Cycling gods “. ???
Froome crashed at least twice in 2018, that I can recall, if we don't count getting knocked off his bike by a cop or security guard. He crashed in a recon for the time trial route at the Giro, then came back to win. And crashed in stage one of the TdF. Seems like there were a couple more crashes last year, during training or recons.

It happens. Usually minor injuries. LeMond crashed several times, particularly in time trials. He usually managed to rebound.

I'm inclined to say the most daring racers are the most likely to crash. They're pushing the limits of tire adhesion, rolling really close to the barriers, trying to make every second and inch count.

But Froome in particular has always struck me as awkward looking, like a human-pterodactyl hybrid that swooped out of the sky, stole someone's bike and decided to race. He takes incredible chances riding the top tube on downhills. And his balance looks off on tight, fast turns, possibly because he's unusually tall and thin with gangly, gawky posture.

His gift is that incredible engine and ability to endure at a ridiculously light weight for his height. If grand tours were nothing but climbs he'd probably never crash, or at least not be seriously injured since the speeds are relatively slower.

Anyway, I agree that Froome and Sky/Ineos tactics are a bit boring, but it's a business and they do it well. At least it gives other riders a shot at winning stages. Remember that during Merckx's peak he was criticized for not only dominating entire races, but not even yielding stage wins some seasons.

I used to think only the French hate winners (they didn't like Anquetil, Merckx or Hinault when they won too often), but it seems any cyclist who dominates the TdF will draw the ire of some fans, regardless of style and tactics.

There's a great scene in a 1970s documentary with other cyclists taking on the role of media reporters interviewing Merckx, and playfully asking Merckx if he'd please consider not winning every single stage and maybe leaving a few crumbs for other cyclists. Merckx just shrugged and said something like "I don't care what you think. It doesn't concern me." There may be some idiomatic expressions or nuances lost in translation, but it seemed to pretty accurately reflect Merckx's character, and that of most dominant athletes.