hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Just me, but...
I have never taken an actual wallet on tour, preferring something more minimal like either a plastic sleeve, or a ziploc bag, but whatever I used was never in a pannier. It was always somewhere that it either automatically or at least easily stayed with me at all times. Sometimes in a jersey pocket, sometimes a handlebar bag, and sometimes a little belt pack that just fit a phone and some wallet type stuff. I liked that solution pretty well. On the last trip I even used a tiny backpack for that some of the time. I don't like having to dig in panniers during the day.

On another note. I'd imagine digging for stuff is easier in your hard panniers. Also I agree the aero drag is probably significantly better.
Nowadays, I keep my wallet in one of the easily accessed side pockets of my little cellphone holder, not the locked panniers. It's in my field of vision while riding so it's very unlikely to fall off without my notice. Also, if I ever get injured & separated from my bike, and consciousness, I doubt it would take the authorities very long to find my wallet, figure out who I am, and pass my medical info on to the paramedics etc.
As far as finding stuff. It's actually easier than it was with my old fabric panniers with all thier many pockets and zippers, "Is it in this pocket? No, guess not, maybe it's in this one....? ". What I do have though, is an old shaving kit bag for my tools & such. Most of the rest (clothes mainly) are large enough to find right away. If you had to stow more smaller things, and it was a problem, I suppose you could always organize them into small lightweight, clear bags of some kind. I haven't really ever had the need to do that though.
Although I haven't any metrics to back me up, I swear there's an aero advantage to these, (those on the Trek 520 I anyway). I was up in the mountains today riding in to a stiff northwest wind, and it just wasn't as bad as it used to be with my 'not-so-aero' fabric panniers. Not a very scientific observation I admit, so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by hfbill; 08-23-19 at 10:38 PM.