garage sale GT
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Good for you, you can pump it up.

The other 50% of the people out there won't be able to. So your advice is wrong. That is the WRONG vavle length for that rim, as PROVEN by your picture. A schreader valve that only clears the rim by that margin is TOO SHORT. I've worked on these bikes, repaired flats for that specific bike many times before. WE can pump it up with our compressor. A customer with a floor pump, or a mini-pump or any other of the billion variations of pumps out there might not be able to. Or at worst they'll try and pull the valve out through the rim for more clearance and create a pinch flat.

That is not the correct length valve, and you telling us that you can pump it up makes no ****ing difference.. Any professional mechanic that lets a bike leave with a flat repair like that is a ****ing moron and doesn't deserve the "professional" part of that title.

I'm not sure how may more different ways I can convey this.
Originally Posted by PlatyPius
I agree.

One thing I have seen happen when someone puts the short stem in there is the stem ripping out of the tube. Why? Because it's too short. They try to get the floor pump head on the stem, but to get it on far enough to push the valve down, they have to yank on the stem; eventually pulling it out of the tube.

Another amusing problem is when the bike sits for a while and the tire gets low. Rider doesn't notice, goes for a ride, comes back, and there isn't a valve stem any longer. Not visible at least. Valve stem is down inside the rim somewhere.... Ever tried letting the air out and putting the valve back through the hole when it's still partially inflated and you can't get to the valve?

Fun.
First of all, if he can and the "other 50% of the people out there won't be able to", that would mean there are only two people with these bikes.

Second of all, anyone who says you can damage a schraeder valve by tweaking it into place with your fingers, BUT NOT WITH 125 PSI PUSHING THE VALVESTEM UP THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE RIM, EVEN WITH YOUR WEIGHT ON THE BIKE, EVEN WHEN YOU HIT A BUMP, hasn't thought very hard about it.

What do you think the guy's going to do, stand on the rim and pull up on the valve with Vise-Grips?

P.S. this isn't really about the OP anymore but I would remind him that I supplied three sites back on the first page, although they probabaly don't have the special 48mm long valvestem.

Last edited by garage sale GT; 12-05-09 at 02:08 PM.