View Single Post
Old 05-07-18, 11:47 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Congratulations on starting down the path, Jon.

Some thoughts. Not that each of these things will be just the right thing for you, necessarily, but they are changes that many people do and get good benefit from. Helps limit portions, helps balance intake, helps increase the range of nutrients obtained, helps curb hunger, helps eliminate spikes and dips in energy, etc.

Originally Posted by Jon A.
Here is my basic meal plan:

Breakfast: (~500 cals)
1-2 Cups of Coffee with half & half and one Splenda each;
(2) Large Hard-Boiled Eggs with a bit of salt; and
(1) 16 oz. Strawberry/Banana/Soy Milk/Yogurt/Flax&Chia Seeds with a touch of maple syrup Smoothie.
If I don't make a Smoothie I have two slices of wheat toast with peanut butter (the wheat bread is 40 calories/slice)
You could nix the maple syrup, for example, and a portion of the fruits, in order to free up some calories. Instead, could add a scoop of a good whey protein powder (ie, Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard whey, or similar), or perhaps half an avocado. Squeeze a lime into the blend, if you want to spruce up the taste.

It'll help keep your overall protein/fat intake higher. In the case of the maple syrup being swapped out, it would reduce the relatively empty carbs in replace them with longer-lasting energy from the proteins and fats.

If the overall calorie content is higher than you'd prefer at one sitting, then split into two or three drink jugs and save the others for later (or tomorrow).

Mid-Morning Snack: (~100 cals)
(2) Tbsps of Almonds
20 oz. water
Could add an egg and cut the almonds in half. Could add several tablespoons of a good whole milk yogurt. The overall calories would be higher, but the nutrients would be greater.

Lunch: (~500-600 cals)
Homemade Chicken Caesar Salad with Bacon Bits, Parmesan cheese, carats and 2-3 Tbsps of dressing
(1) Diet Coke can [/quote]

Would recommend nixing the sodas and packaged drinks. Even in the "diet" varieties, there's some evidence out there to suggest the chemistry of such drinks can fool with your body's processes, ending up signalling things far differently than water does. Some studies suggest it even contributes to the risks for Type II Diabetes.

Would recommend nixing the packaged dressings. Could add an egg or sliced avocado for more protein and fats. Could use mustard and a balsamic along with your own herb/spice blend to make a killer vinaigrette for salads, something that'd be lower in calories and better for you than typical packaged bottled dressings.

A good amount of water will help the body, end up tasting better in a few months, and it won't risk some of the downsides.

Mid-Afternoon Snack: (~100 cals)
(2) pickle spears (high in sodium... my other Kryptonite) OR
Some of my kids' Baked Goldfish or Saltines crackers
20 oz. water
Again, would recommend some protein and fat here. Perhaps a slice of cheese and a bit of baked chicken, with perhaps a small slice or two of avocado ... or something similar.

Crackers and other similar items won't provide you either nutrients or much "quality" energy, whereas the higher protein/fat type snack will give you more energy over a longer period, smoothing away the energy "dips" you might still be experiencing.

Dinner: (Goal = 700 cals but probably exceeding that)
Dinners are tough because my wife is a REALLY good cook and we like to grill/smoke meat 3 seasons a year. I have portion control issues at dinner both because the food is so good and because by that point I am usually hungry. Dinners vary but can consist of the following:
Pizza (homeade dough, usually only mozzarella cheese, roaster garlic, tomato, brocolli, pesto)
Chicken on the grill or baked in the oven, occasionally chicken wings on the grill
Pasta with seafood (shrimp or scallops)
Steak (1x/week maximum)
Turkey Burgers on the grill;
Salmon or Swordfish
Pork loin
We try to reduce or eliminate carbs by grilling, baking or steaming veggies like broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, etc.but sometimes we'll have rice, couscous, pasta, etc.

Desert:
100 cal Cheez-It or Pretzel bag
Would recommend adding in a decent salad, consisting of one or two leafy greens (ie, spinach and chard, or chard and mustard greens), plus a variety of vegetables of varying colors. Top with herbs and spices only, leaving off the dressings. Can sprinkle with sunflower seeds, some avocado, a spare amount of cheese, perhaps another egg (hard-boiled, crumbled).

If you already have one daily at lunch, that's fine. A few additional grilled or steamed veggies might be a good addition to the meal, here. Keeps the variety up, nutrition-wise.

Cutting half the rest of the meal (above) but adding in a great salad would provide better nutrients overall. You'd still be getting your proteins and fats, but you'd be ensuring high intake of a wide range of vegetables and greens. It'll also help keep you full, particularly if you have the salad first.

In general, forego frying in favor of baking or grilling, when doing meats.

In general, go light on any packaged, bottled products. Light on sauces. Mustard can be a good alternative, as it's very low in calories. You can even make your own rough/Roman-style mustard and both boost the flavors and avoid the package condiment "blues."

Maintain a good spice rack, as well. I tend to keep a couple of big black pepper jugs that I've finished, filled with my own special blend of spices and dried herbs. Completely eliminates any need i feel for someone else's bottled spread or dressing. Cuts out 99% of the calories, but boosts flavors.

Another thing some folks do is to strive for smaller portions more frequently through the day. By keeping your overall balance of fats/proteins/carbs in each serving you have (BF, snack, LU, snack, DN), many people find the hunger pangs go away through the day, energy lasts longer, you eliminate the spikes and dips that often accommodate larger meals with greater portions of carbs. Might be something that helps you, here.

I'd really strive to keep the water intake fairly high, as well. Most folks can gauge the amount of water they're getting by the color of the urine. If it's relatively pale or clear and doesn't have more than a mild/passing scent, you're doing pretty well. If it goes darker brownish or yellow, it's an indication that you might need more fluids.

If making dramatic changes to your overall nutrition, it'd be worth speaking with your family doctor or spending an hour or two with a nutritionist. Particularly if you have certain limitations or constraints on your intake or body's processes that need to be considered.

Exercise:
2-3 nights/week = take a 4.8 - 5.5 mile bike ride on hilly loops (~375-400' elevation gains) (hopefully increase if/when time and fitness level allow)
Weekend = take a 14-20 mile bike ride on a relatively flat rail trail (hopefully increase if/when time and fitness level allow)
Track steps on fitness watch
Take the stairs
Chase after my kiddos/go to playgrounds
Go for walks with the family (also hilly) [/quote]

Could get the body moving during lunch hours at work, too. Say, brisk walks within a couple of miles, while you down one of your protein smoothies. An easy way to get in some exertion while not spending any "family" time to get it done. Leaving you more flexibility for the family hours.

Would also recommend doing a good amount of floor exercises and moderate weights ... whether at a gym or at home. You can pick up two or three sets of kettle bells, get a Bosu ball and/or phisio ball, and a good-quality padded mat for the home or deck. It can give you a surprisingly challenging workout, if you get creative with all the movements you could do with those pieces of equipment.

The nice thing about a simple collection of home gear like this is that it'll mean catching even a ~15-20min period for brisk exercise will be possible even on challenging days when a longer walk or ride can't be done.

One thing to consider: higher-intensity spurts or intervals, throughout a workout. Studies suggest the body responds well to this sort of exercise, burning more energy and rebuilding better as a result of the boosted intensity. Can use telephone poles along a cycling or jogging route as markers ... say, surge to the next pole, then relax until recovered, then surge against to the next pole, etc. With floor exercises, you can inject "bursts" into certain moves ... ie, standard pushups, but then do several explosively where you push up off the ground. Same with burpees, squats and other moves.

In time, perhaps even a family gym membership might be a worthwhile addition.

A pretty good book on core/floor exercises: Core Performance Essentials, by Verstegen.

A pretty simple book on stretching: Stretching for Everyday Fitness, by Anderson.

Keeping decently stretched and your core/pelvic area in good condition can go a long way toward keeping you injury free and enjoying the level of exercise you do get.

Good luck on the journey.