View Single Post
Old 01-26-20, 11:05 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
With the rubber band mounted handlebar lights, it is easy enough to push them up or down (which is easier than cycling through all the brightness settings). But this is a very unique design for the generator and permanent mounted lights.

Did you add a "Light in the Driver's Eyeballs" mode?

I don't use a rear mirror, so a light following me would be more comforting than it would be distracting.
I should point out that the light I'm using (B&M Cyo something premium) has a really sharp cutoff at the top. The useful light is shaped to fall on the road ahead, not the trees. Which is great, unless you need to read street signs. My first 400k I had to stop and lift my bike up in the air to read a couple street signs. I should have had a flashlight with me, but I digress.

So anyway, the light on my Rawland goes up high enough to read street signs if I go by reasonably slow. I made sure of that, because I anticipated it being a useful feature.

But I did not anticipate how much I'd move the light up and down on regular riding. When riding in hills, I constantly adjust the light to follow the terrain.

I've used those cheap LED lights from China, powerful light but a beam so conical that moving it up or down didn't matter much. It mounted to the handlebar as you describe, and it was easy to move it up and down. But I never did; the light didn't cut off the way this B&M does.

unterhausen , is this the right subforum for this discussion? Eh, whatever, it's here now.