Thread: Addiction LXXIX
View Single Post
Old 08-01-20, 02:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Oh of course!

The frame is a 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2, one of the ones that was built by Panasonic in Japan. This one happens to have the $50 full chrome finish

I bought it about 3 years ago from the late owner's brother up in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and ran it with the original running gear sans wheels for a while.

This year I stripped the yellowing and chipping lacquer from the frame and discovered a basically flawless chrome finish.

Similarly to all of my vintage bikes, I can't leave well enough alone and there's barely anything original. I think at this point the only original component is the seat post binder bolt

Currently it's running the following:

Shimano 600 "Arabesque" 52/39 crankset
Campagnolo Mirage 8s levers
Campagnolo Mirage 8s long cage derailleur
Shimano 600 "Arabesque" FD
7 speed 12(?)-28 Shimano cassette
H Plus Son Archetype rims & Formula hubs (I think ~1600g)

I think at the moment it's somewhere around 21-22lbs.

I almost feel guilty sweating all over it

This is going to be getting the 5800 stuff once I buy a chain and RD. It's going to be so good
Very nice! Finding undamaged chrome under the aged lacquer must have felt like Christmas!

As you can probably tell from my postings, I like old frames with more modern components. No reason to be stuck with single pivot brakes, downtube shifters, or narrow gearing just because that's how it was. I kept the Ritchey with its original 7410 Dura Ace till this fall, when I realized that I didn't ride it because the 12-25 gearing was not as comfortable to ride as my bikes with wider gearing. So I upgraded the brifters, cassette, and rear derailleur to 7800 but kept that beautiful 7410 crank. So, I took it from being 25 years behind the times to just 15 years!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles