View Single Post
Old 01-27-21, 10:06 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,059 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Hey John, I’ve often wondered what draws some people to be devoted members of this forum, and what keeps MOST other people away. I’m assuming somewhere along the line you and TJ have invited other guys in your group of regulars to become members, what are their reasons for declining?
I actually met TJ and a bunch of others through BF. There was a lady who organized rides through the forum and some of those rides had 50 people show up. She quit posting because there were some guys, mostly in the SoCal regional forum, who were harassing her daily. Our Bike Forum rides disappeared after that.

I've been a member of the SFVBC since 1989. A road club with up to 500 members at times, people have found the club on-line and on BF and many of them have joined the club.

I talk about BF on rides sometimes and a few people I know have joined but lose interest after a while. Like the road club, people come and go and have different reasons for leaving. There is a lot of competing social media these days. One guy even started his own forum called SoCal Bike Forums and it lasted a few years.

TJ is a great climber and does double century type rides often. I only ride with him when he wants to slow down and chat. He is also as nice a person as you could ever meet.

Of the people who joined our club through BF, Cassave is one who has stuck around for years. Here he is riding his garage built bike on the road we were on yesterday. This is the frame he featured on the framebuilder forum. How to build a lugged steel frame, with pics - Bike Forums

Last edited by big john; 01-27-21 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For big john: