View Single Post
Old 06-12-21, 10:12 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclingpotter
I have just bought the Trek Domane SL7 and have now had two cases of speed wobble in the first 8 weeks. Both around 50kph, both with cross winds but both controllable by reducing speed and both terrifying. I have been cycling for years and am used to descending at higher speeds than this. I have changed my seat position and height to take more wight off my bars and have changed my bar grip (both times happened when on my hoods). After the second time I have been reading a lot and have learnt about squeezing the top tube with my knees etc but am not looking forward to my next down hill with a cross wind. It almost makes me want to go back to my Cannondale SuperSix Evo - which was a lot twitchier but ever subjected me to a speed wobble.
It has been almost ten months since that crash and I have not recovered mentally from it. I refuse to go faster than 50 km on any downhill, the risk is too great but I do miss the thrill and excitement of downhills. This is the 24th bike I have owned and never had a problem before this. It is also the best bike I have ever owned in terms of comfort and handling. The easiest thing would be to sell it it as suggested to you above but I really do love this bike. My compromise is to slow down on the downhills and enjoy the rest of the ride. There is lots of good information of why it happens, but the solutions seem more elusive. What works for one person doesn't work for another.

I wish I had a fix for you but what works for me (slowing down) may not be the solution you want to hear.
Likes For blakcloud: