View Single Post
Old 06-13-21, 04:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
My point is this: it’s unknowable without knowledge of the entire system at resonance at that instant in time and without some knowledge of the impulse that set the system into resonance.

None of this is due to a single cause or, by now, all of those things would have been eliminated and there would be no resonance/under damped instances in bicycles and this would never happen.

This stuff is always complex and multidimensional. That’s why it’s hard to isolate, replicate and pin down. Every time this happens, I’m sure it scares the crap out the bike manufacturer’s lawyers and engineers (been there done that - different industry). The big guys are going to have a lot better handle on simulation and analysis of what causes this in their bikes than the little guys.
I agree it is complex. But if you add any undamped spring into a system it is likely to make things worse rather than better if resonance occurs. Now the elastomers used in the Domane frame may well have some level of self damping so they may not be a problem. But we do know that this bike is not immune to speed wobbles, whatever the cause.