View Single Post
Old 01-02-20, 01:49 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
Anyone else have difficulty with slowing down the pace for a more casual ride?
Some of my riding partners - like all of us - are getting older, and I have struggled on group rides these past few years to keep from getting out ahead of them... I am BY NO MEANS a racehorse - I average from 16.5 - 17 mph on longer rides in our hilly neck-of-the-woods (my highest average last year was a century in a flatter part of the state - about 18.2 mph average).
Our local club has a NY Day ride, which I have missed the past two or three years, and I met up with some of the guys I've ridden with for years at the start; we stayed together for the first mile, but the rolling-hill nature of the terrain (and a wicked crosswind) ultimately found me dialing up the speed, to maintain momentum, and I didn't see any of them after the first five miles were past. I finished the ride a good 2 mph higher average than the guys I started out with.
I know a longer, slow ride is good for training, but I really struggle to not hammer it out, especially when the hills require a little momentum going down to keep a good pace going up.
I do my long ride with a slower group of club riders, depending on what mood I'm in, I'll either put my wife's hybrid wheels on, pull the front, or do intervals and turn around and chase back up. I also ride to the start point, adding 16-25 miles, that evens things out and gets me home wiped out and hungry, which is the goal. Maybe you are just too awesome, and need to cut back on the PEDs a tad...
Likes For wheelreason: