View Single Post
Old 07-24-12, 04:25 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
If I needed a heavy duty tire, that World Tour might fit the bill.

I've had a few too many defective Cheng Shin tires. Out of round is a b*tch. Yes, they ride well, and the prices are hard to resist. But I'm resisting.

Hmmmm, I recommended the Cheng's because they seem to have far FEWER problems than the other sub-$15 tires I've tried, and I've bought a lot of them.

I would bet that the Sunlite-branded tires are lumpy as soon as they're mounted, and with a very uneven line between the black and white areas.
Again, these are the problems (with these cheap tires) that lead me to prefer Cheng Shin above many others.

A lot of the cheap OEM-level tires, as from Specialized, cost a couple dollars more than the aftermarket Cheng's, but seem to have more problems (even though they are also made by Cheng Shin) than the cheaper Cheng's that I buy aftermarket.

My only gripe about the c-732 (the lighter Cheng tire) is that they don't resist punctures well, but I could say the same thing about entry-level Conti's (but not the Vittorias which seem to have a thicker/stiffer tread cap).