View Single Post
Old 06-13-20, 08:11 AM
Trobinson986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to cycling, left knee pain- help?

Hi- I recently took up cycling. I bought a nice bike - Giant TCR advanced 2 disc. I went for a nice ride alone for my first “real ride” it was about 15-20 miles at a comfortable pace- I was alone so I could slow down when I wanted. I felt fine after the ride- zero pains or problems.

Then, the following week I rode with a group who are all experienced cyclists but much older than me (guys in the group were in their 60s and I’m in my early 30s). So I felt like I could keep up without problem. We rode 60miles. Took a break mid way. I felt fine at times but other times I felt like I was really pushing hard to keep up. At the end of the ride my left knee started hurting on the inside of the knee, like at one particular spot within the revolution of the crank there was a quick little pain. It didn’t feel like an acute injury but more like an overuse or exhaustion pain. I didn’t notice the pain when walking, only while cycling. I could feel it some when I would squat down to sit down- but again just like an overuse soreness not a torn muscle or anything.

now, two weeks later- it’s still hurting some when I ride so I haven’t gone back out with them. I’ve taken some short rides alone around my neighborhood and can do that without problem - I feel a tiny little bit of soreness still- but I’m afraid to go on the long ride with the group until the feeling is completely gone.

any advice to me? Do you think it’s just overuse by riding too far on a first real ride after starting the sport? Tips on how to avoid?