View Single Post
Old 06-13-20, 12:23 PM
Trobinson986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
Definitely get a professional fit if you're going to be doing anything other than casual riding. Just make sure you're going to a reputable fitter. Like you, I had left knee pain. Spent probably $1,000 going to different fitters, never could get the pain to go away. Then I measured my sit bones and discovered I have exceptionally narrow sit bones (100mm). Rule of thumb is that your saddle should be ~20mm to 30mm wider than your sit bones. First fitter measured me, didn't have a narrow enough saddle (didn't tell me this), so put me on the narrowest saddle he had (138mm). All other fitters kept me in the same saddle. On a whim, I decided to try a Berk Lupina saddle. It's 132mm, but has a really round shape and feels narrower than it is. Knee pain went away immediately, and hasn't come back since.

Long story short: your saddle could be too wide (in addition to being too high, too set back, improper cleat position, etc.).
interesting, good to know. What do you mean by “sit bones”?

also, I live in Manhattan. Does anyone know of a reputable bike fitter in the NYC area?