Old 11-23-14, 09:49 AM
SGMongoose

Bikes: Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attaching rear rack to FG without braze-ons

I'm not sure if it's blasphemy to attach a rear rack to a fixed gear, but i find i like a pannier much better then a backpack of messenger bag.

My problem is that my current rack is a seatpost mounted unit (pictured below), and if i put anything that weighs more then a gallon of milk in there, the rack flexes enough to hit the spokes of my wheel on bumps and turns. Not to mention i hate the way it looks... and the height of where the weight is being carried isn't helping my already weak trackstand kung fu.

So does anyone know of any options for mounting a more traditional rack to a frame without braze-ons? or better yet, have any experience with a specific brand and pictures of how you've mounted it?

Options i've found so far are below, but i would like to see if anyone has some more creative/better ones

Thule rack: review are mixed, and even uglier then a seatpost rack, but brings the weight lower
Thule Pack ?n Pedal Tour Rack - Thule

Axiom Streamliner Road DLX: Really like the way this one looks, but brackets look like they would flex alot and have to be modified for the axles. Also not sure how i feel about removing rack to change a flat.
Streamliner Road DLX - Streamliner Racks - Racks - Products - Axiom Performance Gear

Bontrager Backrack: looks like better brackets then the Axiom, but same cons regarding removing for flats.
Bontrager: BackRack Lightweight (Model #08214)

Alternatively, how do people feel about drilling and tapping the dropouts. Not sure if i would do it, but maybe something to consider? my dropouts look like theres enough extra meat possibly.