Old 09-04-19, 12:37 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by jwill226
The shop I bought it from told me they did this before I picked it up. Should I have it done again? It should have about 300 miles on it now. I changed jobs not long after I bought it and had to store it.
Definitive answer: yes, no, maybe, or maybe not.

If the bike shop you bought it from checked tension and true, and did a good job, you don't need to do it again. If they didn't do a good job, you do. To make the situation worse, it's possible the first shop did a good job, got the wheels nice and tight, and if you take it to a different shop they'll de-tension the wheels, which is the quick way to a clyde wheel failure. (Best wheel man in town did that to my wheels once before I collected all the spoke sizes I've needed for the last 8 years.)

Do you play a musical instrument, or know someone who does? Read about musical wheel tensioning at https://www.sheldonbrown.com/spoke-pitch.html (or have a friend do it), then check what you've got. Do be aware that the front and drive-side rear spokes will be at a higher tension than the non-drive-side rear.