View Single Post
Old 10-13-17, 03:29 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
A Moots Vamoots build with comparable functionality as the Lynskey R260 I just ordered would cost just under $10,000. For the R260 disc with Di2, thru-axle, etc. plus the ti seatpost I'm paying around $6,000.

I'm pretty sure I'm never going to be out riding and think God damnit, if only this bike had a Chris King headset instead of Cane Creek 40. Is the Moots better? I have no idea. But I highly doubt it's $4,000 better.

I went with the Lynskey because I thought I could get a bike that I would be comfortable on for very long rides, while still being able to hold my own in A group rides, that would be durable, support wider tires, have nice frills like electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes, etc. I haven't got the bike yet, so it remains to be seen if it turns out to be all it's cracked up to be in my mind. Assuming it is, though, I'll be very happy with it. I can think of a lot of other uses for $4,000 than just making me feel "leet" at group rides because I paid more for my bike than the next guy. Hell, even with the Lynskey I probably will have paid more for my bike than most guys or gals. But it won't be the price tag that makes me feel good about it. It'll be the comfortable ride, the smooth, precise shifting, the wide comfortable 32mm Compass tires giving me that creamy ride while giving up no speed, etc.

Even if my wife would have let me buy a $10,000 bike I wouldn't have done it. I could pick up the Lynskey R260 and a killer full suspension mountain bike for that much money. And probably still have some change left over.