Old 01-07-19, 10:09 AM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
This summer it's 89 days in France, Germany and Denmark. We start in Paris, then by train to St. Nazaire to start EuroVelo 6. Stay on the bike route and see how far we get before catching a train to Copenhagen where we'll finish our holiday staying with Danish friends.

Lots of firsts:
  • First unsupported bike tour in Europe (I've done a five unsupported bike tours in the US)
  • First unsupported bike tour ever for my wife. (We've both done foo-foo supported tours where you stay in castles and eat in Michelin starred restaurants, but this will be her first time camping while on tour)
  • First unsupported tour together, hopefully we'll still be married afterwards.

Even though it's my wife's first unsupported tour, we've planned an easy initiation. EuroVelo 6 is pretty flat along the Loire River. I'm letting my wife set the pace and choose each day's distance so she never feels pushed. And we can always catch a train if the going gets tough. We will have at least one overnight training ride in California before leaving for France. For me, her slower pace is a good thing as I tend to get goal focused and pedal past stuff I should be stopping to see.