Old 04-19-19, 11:26 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by IBRyan
So what is the problem? I am just trying to best understand what the exact issues are so I can bring them up to tech and get on fixing that for the Bike Forums community.
The problem is that 95% of the "above the fold" screen real estate is of little to no value to the user.

This is like the front page of the NY Times being full of ads with a small article in the corner. Readers don't buy the NYT for ads. Users don't come to BF for ads or huge headers with the logo in it. They come here for the threads. Show that to them primarily and subtly show ads along the way.

Give them what they came here for first. Advertise to them second. This is how you create repeat users.

The ads are so out of control here that they get in the way of conveying information.

It's like "having a dash of coffee with your cream."

Having been a mod here in the past and a volunteer in the IRL cycling community, my account has the ad-free privilege, so it doesn't affect me. But, unauthenticated and normal users have to suffer through all of that.

It's fuggin painful. The inline text ads are especially painful. They even appear on IB's legal masthead info!