View Single Post
Old 06-19-19, 09:37 AM
dglevy
Dopamine Junkie

Bikes: (1) Giant TCR racing bike, Ultegra/DuraAce groupo. (2) Kastle TT bike, Ultegra groupo.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I thought that the Conti tubes came with the removable presta valve.
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nope, at least not the CST tubes I have. The core is not removable. At least it's not designed for a core removal tool. It might be possible to remove the core using pliers, or to file the threads flat to accommodate a core tool. I might try that on an old CST tube that's been patched too many times. (I tend to reuse tubes until they have about half a dozen patches.)
I had at least one Conti tube before these bagged ones. I'm pretty sure I bought it at a LBS and it had a removable valve core just like these ones*. All you need to remove it is needle nose pliers to unscrew it; the thread are shaved off on the sides so it's easy to grip.

*I remember very clearly b/c I didn't know about removable cores at the time and thought I had gotten a flat when, in fact, the core had merely become slightly unscrewed--which I only figured out after removing the tube from the tire and putting it under water to find the 'puncture'...