DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck single/9 speed convertible, Novara Buzz beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertsdvd
I've said it before and I'll say it again... fenders are dang sexy! and I'd add that hub gears are too now that I have one.

DanO, I know I mentioned it before, I ride with my shifter on a spacegrip next to my cross levers, how do you like your's down there and what did you use to mount them there?
Robert;

Though I've never been a fan of traditional friction bar ends I find the reach to the twist grip on my right drop to be very natural - even when standing. Perhaps this is because it's a clicker and I don't have to concentrate on shifting that much. The only superior arrangemet I can think of would be Shimano's new 8 speed sport hub which will be compatible with STI shifters.

As far as how I mounted it: I got lucky when scrounging for cheap used parts when I came across an old Cinelli bar at a local shop. The tubing was pretty thick, and of such a diameter that a piece of cheap steel MTB bar slid right into the end with little play. I secured the extension by drilling and tapping both bars and screwing in two small hex head cap bolts. Like I said, I got lucky. I don't think any of the newer bars made out of thinner walled tubing would have tolerated this kind of abuse, er, modification. One draw back to mounting this shifter on the end is that the the twist part of the grip can - and has - fallen off because the rest of the handgrip is not there to hold it on. I've been lazy in fabricating some sort of end cap to prevent this, so I'm just careful, so as not to end up with a single speed half way through my commute.

Take it easy. DanO

PS. I attempted to e-mail you via your web site. I attached a PDF document of a "road test" about this bike that was too large to post on the forum. If by chance you didn't recieve it and would like to check it out let me know.