View Single Post
Old 03-17-19, 11:25 AM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
You obviously want to be a moderator.
That is not true. I am interested in implementing the online spreadsheet as a more efficient way of facilitating trades, sales etc. I really have no interest in moderating any other threads.

Originally Posted by bark_eater
The spread sheet is a most excellent tool, but is not a replacement for posts created by the people actually trying to make a trade. You have summarized other peoples "copy" to a few words on the spread sheet and selected one photo.
In my 30+ years of IT experience I've seen countless attempts to introduce new "improved" solutions that run in parallel to an existing solution. It does not work. Ultimately, users get frustrated and confused by the additional, redundant tool and almost always revert back to the original solution which they are familiar with. Migration to a new system requires engineering and implemention to be successful otherwise, this new spreadsheet will go the way of all previous spreadsheet attempts.

With regards to your referenced "limitations", 1) Spreadsheet allows for much more "copy" in the text fields then you are currently seeing. I have copy and pasted what I feel to be the important "Specs" which are relevant to somebody seeking a trade. Not sure that a back story about how owner came to acquire bike etc is appropriate nor necessary to such a spreadsheet. 2) Photos are simply links in the spreadsheet. As easily as a link can point to a single photo, it can also point to an album containing multiple photos.

Anyhow, just trying to help the community. The spreadsheet worked out great for me. I ended up trading/selling two bike/frames within a relatively short period of time and am just trying to offer that convenience to other members. As stated, there is only so much I can do without the assistance of a site admin. If it doesn't happen at least I gave it a reasonable shot. Not trying to step on anybody's toes or disrespect.

Last edited by tarsi; 03-17-19 at 06:53 PM.