Old 05-05-19, 12:35 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
There's no solution for that with a bus, unless it becomes possible for smaller local shuttles to dock with buses on the highway while moving so passengers can board and exit long-distance buses without the whole bus stopping.

Yes, part of what I was trying to explain by using the term, 'segregation,' in a more general way is that there are legitimate reasons to seek separation from other people for all sorts of reasons. The problem is that too many people have sought segregation for the wrong reasons, giving it a bad name.

Giving people the ability to have more privacy/separation in the form of private compartments or otherwise on long-distance bus trips would make them more popular, I think.

There's no reason a bus trip should take longer than driving. That's why I mentioned the idea of local shuttles docking with long-distance buses on highways so people can board and exit without the bus stopping. Fueling buses on the highway by docking with fuel vehicles or having swappable fuel tanks that would be secured before shifting the fuel line internally would be good technological innovations. Obviously, safety would be the challenge.

Two people sharing a car doesn't reduce congestion on the highways the way a bus with 50 passengers does.

HSR projects are too difficult to maintain support. Political-economic obstructions doom them to being little more than money-wasting projects designed to pay out money for people to spend on car payments and plane tickets.

It's going to get harder and harder to justify. So much land has been harmed by highways and the development that they bring. They are also contrary to solving the climate unsustainability problems at hand.
So what does countries in the rest of the industrialized world (Spain, Germany, China, Japan, France, Russia, South Korea, UK, etc.) know that we don't?

The Five Best High-Speed Rail Networks in the World