Old 06-06-19, 01:47 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
New Bike Choice (mostly Trek Domane thing)

I have been riding my upgraded El/OS steel (late 90's) Bianchi frame (upgraded wheels, saddle, handlebars, seatpost, and 2014 Campy Chorus drive train) to the tune of 5-10K miles per year since 2015. I like the bike and have zero complaints about it. But I have LITERALLY (and I am not kidding) NEVER/EVER been on another true road bike of any kind. NEVER (just the way it has turned out for me). I have ridden a low end Trek hybrid a few times and other than the Western Flyer I owned as a kid, that is it.

I mostly just ride alone (by choice) and I might set a performance goal on occasion (e.g., in 2016 I set out to ride a true 5 hour, solo century and pulled that one off). But mostly I just ride. DOB is 1949, BTW. And like many of us, I am not getting any younger :-)

I don't need a new bike. I like the one I ride and there isn't a ton of performance to be gained (even if it mattered) from a new one. But there is one area where I can imagine 'getting a return' from a new bike, and that is the comfort of the bike on chipseal-type pavement (lots of that where I ride).

I live in a small area and we have one LBS. I know, like, and respect the owner and what he is doing in local bike land. So I am unlikely to go looking for a deal on some bike from where-ever and would naturally buy from him. I would not expect the best price ever recorded, but it would be fair to both of us. He is a Trek dealer and that (obviously) leads one to consider the Trek Domane (probably SL 6 level - not inclined to be much past $3k for this purchase).

Obviously I would need to try one out. But I am curious as to what others think about what I might gain in comfort going from my Bianchi steel to the Domane. 150 to 200 miles would be a typical week for me. Well - used to be. Probably closer to 150 these days.

Thanks.

dave

ps. While I am not a weight weenie exactly, my Bianchi stripped to showroom weight, with Vittoria Corsa tires and latex tubes weighed a smidge over 18 pounds. I really don't like the thought of having a heavier bike, even though I understand the insignificance of another 400 grams (stock SL6 is advertised about 19 pounds). If I equalized the tires/tubes and Bontrager RXL wheels (how I weighed the Bianchi), it probably comes out pretty close. Still bothers me a bit. My enthusiasm for disk brakes is low, but what can you do.