View Single Post
Old 06-07-19, 11:56 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Can you guys please explain the appeal of these DJ's? I mean, I see that they dabble in making some music, but most of the stuff they play is other people's music, no? So why are they obtaining this exalted status? Royksopp or Planet Funk are understandable, because it's their music. But these guys?
To each his own but I see EDM as kind of a modern classical genre, at least the good stuff. Its also very broad; technically NIN is EDM, and an argument can be made New Order is as well. I will say that over the past 3 years it has been popularized and gutted by pop; it used to be vocals where an element of the sound but now most popular EDM is vocal dominated. Once artists like Zedd, Marshmello, and Calvin Harris started making millions producing pop songs with an EDM sound that killed the genre. I guess its better for them to push out content with Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande and make 10x what they did.

Artists like Eric Prydz, Deadmau5, and Porter Robinson are much better; but their stuff has really been pushed to the wayside the past few years.