View Single Post
Old 09-25-19, 07:43 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
So the frame came in today and I had a chance to unbox it and see what it looks like:

Packaging was clever and well done; they actually stuck the fork between the frame for shipping. When I got everything unpacked I was..... surprised. It came with the headset which I expected, however there were a few changes with the frame and fork that I noticed. The part of the top tube that meets the seat tube seems to have been flattened from the original frames. This should add some compliance as well as making it way more comfortable for shouldering if you plan on using this for CX.

Now the fork, originally is was a carbon fork w. alloy steerer. Now it's full carbon and I'm kinda mixed on this. It feels light, however I've only used alloy steerers for fear of failure from the steerer tube. I guess I have to be more careful on how many spacers I run. I was also surprised it wasn't cut down like in the photo on their website, which is good because I can probably add an extra spacer to up the stack of the front. Still carbon steerer so idk how many spacers I'm safe to put on here.

My plan now is to take it to my LBS to have them prep the frame and install the headset as well as cut the steerer down. Then, we build.