View Single Post
Old 06-24-13, 01:46 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a 115kg clyde, I really don't concern myself with sub 1500grm wheels. Such wheels, if I owned them, would be event day only wheels. The most important characteristic to me for day to day riding/training wheels is that they remain true and are reasonably maintenance free. Subsequently I'm currently running DT Swiss 585's laced to Ultegra hubs and am extremely happy with that combo.

However, if one were to inform me I was being given two sets of free wheels (one training, one event day) and that budgets were not a consideration, my builds would look something like this:
Everyday wheels: Cycleops Powertap or Chris King R45 rear hub, Chris King R45 front hub, HED Belgium C2 rims or if they would do them for me a custom drilled set of Zipp 101's, the HED rims would get laced with a pretty typical double butted combo of spokes and brass nipples. If Zipp drilliumed the 101's for me, well, then I suppose I would have to have some bladed spokes on those, but, probably still brass nipples.

Event day wheels: Hmmmm, hub choices remain the same. But, the rims would probably be some moderate depth carbon clinchers from either Zipp or Enve.

The everday wheels could easily be built up within your budget. If having a lighter bike is going to motivate you to ride it more often, Great. Get some of the cheaper, deeper carbon clinchers. But, if you're like me, I've realized the most important thing to increasing my performance is riding and training as much as possible and that requires a durable bike that is ready to ride every day. And that leads me to wheels that provide me with the minimum of headaches.