Old 07-03-14, 10:13 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
also, who is to say (for you) whether subtracting weight off your bike is not worth it even if you are 40# heavier than you want to be? i mean, i'm sure you can lose the weight with time and discipline, but there's no reason you couldn't do the bike stuff if it was your desire.
After I lost all that weight in 2009-2010 I was on the Tsunami for the first time. It was at least a pound heavier than the Cannondale, bare frame was 1600g (Cannondale, in a larger size, was 1150g). I also used a 450g fork vs the 300-something gram Cannondale top of the line Slice fork. Yet I was using 200-300w less power to get up the hill at Bethel, I was dragging the brakes on the easy laps, and I felt like I could do anything on the bike. I realized then that a pound on the bike was nothing compared to 30 or 40 pounds off the rider.

Now I focus first on fit/ergonomics. If I have some deluxe stuff then I'll do weight. Except wheels. Wheels I look at rotating weight.

As far as discipline I am pretty low on that, so losing the weight is tough for me. I can get to about 167-168 but 160 is tough and 150 was virtually out of reach. I ought to be in the 150s, even 145. To be really cut I think I'd be close to 140.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson