View Single Post
Old 06-14-17, 11:28 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas so far. The rim is beyond repair unfortunately. It has an acute deep gash in the braking surface as well as being all out of true, not by mm but more like several cm. In haste, I pulled the rim off with my spoke wrench figuring I could save some euros on labor. I like the idea of trying to get someone to lace the hub to a new rim and will see if the other shop can start that tomorrow. I did manage to fix the front by hitting it hard a few times with a rubber mallet (essentially) and then getting it mostly true. It is tubeless and the tire seated and the braking surface is fine. I actually borrowed an old 5 speed wheel from my host and put it on and I at least have one speed in the rear and two up front. (ridiculous i know) That will satisfy my malady for at least a few days while I, hopefully , get a wheel built up. I think it wouldnt be to hard to source a rim,spokes, and nipples, esp. if I offer to pay for overnight. Merci beaucoup!
By the way, I botched some spokes during removal, and they were sapim xray. Spilled milk...
Great spot to be stuck, overlooking lac annecy, but those cols are a calling.

Last edited by beatlebee; 06-14-17 at 11:31 AM.