Old 04-28-19, 07:28 AM
yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser
Once you get into the middle part of the USA, most small towns will happily let you camp in the city park. Following an ACA route will really help you out here. Then in the West, there are many government campgrounds along with a lot of public land where you can camp whereever you want. (if the coyotes and jackalopes leave you alone)

I don't know if you're cutting across northeastern California, but there are a few state parks there with cheap hike and bike sites and showers. I'd also recommend riding S to N across Lassen National Park there, even if it does mean going out of your way. It's a good climb to 8500", with an optional hike to the summit of the 10,500' volcano, but has little traffic and great scenery. I can recommend some campgrounds and side routes in that part of California. Lake Tahoe to Klamath is great altogether, but I don't know if you want to cut as far south as Tahoe.
I've been in Lassen in october 2 years ago : it's an absolutely stunning place and less crowded than the Yosemite in august. In bear places I plan to go to campgrounds equipped with steel lockers or cheap motels. I don't want to have to buy a bear proof box.
Tahoe is too much south for my timing and I imagine the place as a sort of "chic" ski resort like Chamonix, but I'm probably wrong ?